Pre-Scramble Golf Clinic For WomenRegistration and Information ▸
2017 Annual Meeting & LuncheonRegistration and Details ▸
Golf with us on September 25!Register Here ▸
98% Enjoy Being a Big!Join our Volunteer Team! ▸
Mentor a Student – Only About 1 Hour a WeekMore Information ▸
Spotlighting the work we do together in the community!Annual Report ▸
Change your community through the life of a child!Be a Mentor ▸
WHAT WE DO
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio is all about mentoring! We match caring volunteers with kids facing adversity to provide professionally-supported, structured mentoring relationships that have a measurable positive impact on our youth, our mentors and our community. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities that fit every schedule: community-based mentoring and school-based mentoring, including PROJECT MENTOR.
Our Ohio Footprint
Our network of affiliated offices serves kids in 14 Ohio counties! Last year, including our affiliated agencies, we served more than 7,400 Ohio kids in one-to-one mentoring relationships and at our Camp Oty’Okwa. In addition, our Mentoring Center of Central Ohio is increasing the quality and quantity of mentoring in Ohio. Our main office is in Columbus, and our family of affiliates includes:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – Delaware County Program
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Central Ohio
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central Ohio
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Springfield
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – Union County Program
- Camp Oty’Okwa
- The Mentoring Center of Central Ohio
What Does It Take To Be A Mentor?
It doesn't take any special skills or education to mentor in our community-based or school-based (including PROJECT MENTOR) programs, just a desire to help a child succeed. It is about developing a friendship and empowering a child. It will be one of the most fulfilling things you do, and you will be a force for change in our community.
How Do Bigs And Littles Get Matched?
We spend time getting to know volunteers and kids to make a good match and lasting friendship. Do you both like sports, music or reading? We look for things you have in common so you will have a good basis to develop a friendship.
How Do I Become A Mentor?
There are many ways to get involved with us! Here are a few: Follow us on social media, advocate for us through your networks, make a donation or provide in-kind support, help beautify Camp Oty'Okwa to prepare for campers, or sponsor a school supply drive or third party event.
Still Have Some Questions?
Please get in touch if you want more information. We want to talk to you!
JOIN OUR VOLUNTEER TEAM
Are you ready to impact a child’s life for the better? We are looking for people who want to positively impact a child and engage in their community at the same time. We want you to get to know one of our kids, be a friend and make a difference, as you learn together.
To be a matched with a child, a volunteer must:
School-based mentoring program (including Project Mentor)
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be able to meet with the child at a nearby school site at a designated day/time each week
- Be willing to complete a volunteer application, background screening and references
- Be willing and able to participate in the program with the youth for at least two school years
Community-based mentoring program
- Be at least 21 years old
- Meet with the child at least two times each month
- Possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and current car insurance
- Be willing to complete a volunteer application, background screening, driving record screening and references
- Be willing and able to make at least an 18-month commitment to the youth in the program
If you do not meet all these requirements, there are other ways to get involved with us! Follow us on social media, make a donation to help support our work in the community, sign up for our newsletter or advocate on our behalf through your networks and encourage others to get involved.Apply Now